Friday, December 12, 2008

Bah Humbug!

I love this time of year. I love shopping for my kids expecting the happy faces on Christmas morning. We don't go overboard, just a couple of gifts each. This year though, I have lost track of what I have purchased. It seems I have gone crazy for Mr. TD and his gifts. I picked up one tonight for him, that brought me to my Bah Humbug mood.

We were shopping at un-named store (in case he's reading this) and my kids were doing great. It was late, past their normal bedtime, but they weren't whining, complaining or asking for anything. We had just completed our purchase when a lady came up to the person checking me out and asked if they had an ATM. I heard the question, but I was getting my kids ready and seated in the stroller to leave the store. I turned around backwards to go through the door. She huffed and acted exasperated that she had to wait for me to get my double stroller through the door. As I swung the stroller around, she stepped through the door, all the while I was holding the door with my foot. She couldn't walk around us, because there were others hanging out in the entry way. Just then another family of 6 or so, stepped out behind her, none of them grabbing the door so that I could move. So here I am, holding the door with my left foot, trying to swing my 125 lb stroller (that's the combined weight of both kids, the stroller and our packages...I am just guessing though...it's probably heavier) around out of the way so "Miss Huffy" can get around and get out the main door. Well, I lost my balance and let the door go. It almost hit one of the kids in the family, so I apologized. Isn't that the right thing to do? Well, the dad didn't think so. He said, "Yeah, right." Miss Huffy was getting huffier. She apparently needed that ATM badly! She was carrying a shopping bag in each hand and rather than step around me when the entry cleared, she waited for me to back up through the next door and hold the door for her! Then, the family stopped for some reason, and I stood there holding the next door, assuming they would be coming right after Miss Huffy. Well, they didn't. The older lady with them, asked if I wanted her to get the door. I replied that I was fine, but I didn't want to be rude and close the door in her face. She just looked at me as if I spoke to her in gibberish. So, I let the door go, and went on my way.

Have we lost all manners and courtesy in this world? Patience people!

I guess that's what I get for shopping at night. I have to be out with all the other folks who don't have time to shop at any other time. I think I will be retreating back to my humble abode to finish ordering any other gifts I need on-line! Thank goodness for Amazon.com!

Maybe if I wrap some presents to put under the tree, I will get back into the festive spirit. Maybe this year Princess TD won't talk Little TD into unwrapping them all before Christmas morning! Then again...maybe I should just wait!

No comments: