Sunday, March 15, 2009

My 100th Post

I can't believe that I have posted 100 times! I really didn't think I had that much to say! I have had several posts running around in my head, but I have never been able to get them completed, so here are the highlights of them!


  • What is it with my kids and food? They will eat JUNK all day long and never get full, but put some chicken and vegetables in front of them and they are suddenly so full they couldn't eat another bite! I don't let them eat junk (sometimes I do), but they ask for it all day long. They absolutely refuse to eat at a mealtime, and when I say mealtime, I don't mean a time on the clock, just the time when more than one member of our family sits at the table for the purpose of eating! I know it's just a phase but...AARRGH!!!

  • A friend of mine gave me a very serious reminder about watching our children closely and protecting them from predators. I am almost paranoid about them coming in contact with someone who could hurt them. It is so easy to have a false sense of security with our schools, churches, neighbors, and coaches. The statistics show that it is someone close to the child that causes the most damage. These are desperate times, and when we are consumed with our own stresses, we can let down our guard, and that's when our children are the most vulnerable.

  • I thoroughly enjoyed the time I was able to spend with my sister when she was at the hospital having my niece. I now know why I didn't have simple labors and deliveries with my children. I needed to learn about complications. Almost every complication that came up with both of my children came up with my little niece, and I knew how to translate them to my sister and clearly explain the benefits and risks. I really have to thank my wonderful doula for my education, because she was so great at explaining that to me!

  • I used to worry a lot about my sister and the time she spent without her hubby when he was away serving our country. She had always told me that it was like a big family, but having never experienced that, I was skeptical. After being at the hospital for 8+ hours without eating, I decided it was time to find nourishment. It was a holiday weekend on post, so everything in the hospital was closed, and not being military, my only choice was Burger King. The nurses gave me directions, each nurse gave me different directions. I was trying to decipher which way to go when I left the hospital parking lot, when a soldier stepped on the elevator. He had just finished PT, and had met his pregnant wife at the hospital, she was having complications. He was very nervous, and talked non-stop (it is my guess that he was a first time dad), and as we reached the bottom floor, he offered to lead me to the Burger King. He said he was going home to shower and change and pick up some things for his wife, but he would take me to get food if I wanted to follow him. He said it was a little out of his way, but it wasn't a problem. So I accepted. He lead me right to the restaurant, waved, and shouted "Good luck" from his window as he turned around and headed to his home. This soldier was a servant, he looked more like Christ than I do sometimes. I do realize that this could be an isolated incident, but this was the way I was treated the entire time I was on post. Maybe the military life is like a big family. I have no doubt that my sister and her family are loved and cared for where they currently live.

  • I think we will be homeschooling indefinitely. Princess TD loves that I am her teacher and loves doing school with me. She asked me if I could teach her swimming in her 6 year old school work. (Mom, I will teach her to swim like I do...face out of the water; Greta, don't worry, it will be in a pool with lifeguards...they just won't come in after me if I put my face in the water.) I am not so sure I am qualified to teach swimming, but I will give it a try.

  • I love our family nights. We have been playing games and spending time together as a family on Sunday evenings for quite some time now. It is so much fun! We have been teaching Little TD to play UNO, and he is catching on! He is learning to match his colors and numbers so well. It's great that we can all play together. Next we'll have to teach them to play Hand and Foot! OK, maybe that's a few years off still...but I can hope right?

  • We are so excited for our camping trip next week. It is one of the perks of homeschooling that we can make our spring break be when we want to go out of town! It will be a busy, busy week getting everything together, but it will be worth it!

  • I really miss my far away friends. Several of them are going through some very difficult times in their lives. I wish I could be there for them to hang out, bring a dinner, and give them a hug. You know who you are...I love you all and I am praying for your specific situations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm REALLY going to try to start getting Zoey in the pool this summer - I put it off last summer b/c I was pregnant. But I'm not as patient as you are - wish me luck.

And I really like your Sunday night game night idea - Doug does shift work, but I'm sure we could figure out some kind of schedule.