Sunday, November 30, 2008

I'd Like Peanut Butter on the Side with Crackers on the Side

This is a common request around our house at lunchtime. Both Princess TD and Little TD love to spread the peanut butter on crackers, or not. Sometimes they eat the peanut butter with a spoon and then the crackers for dessert. Any way they eat it, they usually eat it without delay. This has become one of their favorite meals.

So today, when they asked for this for lunch, it was not a problem. We didn't expect it to come with a twist. They wanted pickles to go along with their peanut butter. They love dill pickles and eat them whenever we get them out. OK, not terribly crazy for a kid to like pickles, but to me, the thought of pickles with peanut butter no matter how it is eaten just doesn't sound palatable to the taste buds!

Mr. TD came up with the bright idea to get Princess TD to put a pickle on her cracker and peanut butter sandwich. She did. She even said YUM! All I could think was BLECHHH! This was coming from the girl who pretty much hates anything we give her to eat. Oh, she may eventually try it, and maybe learn to like it, but her first response is always that she doesn't like it.

So me, being the quick thinker I am, convinced Princess TD to make one for Daddy. Mr. TD shot me a few quick, ever so telling, glances across the table as she was preparing his "sandwich." I convinced her to make it with promises of more peanut butter, crackers and pickles if she found she was running low. Just as she was about finished with the peanut butter portion, she licked the side of the cracker all the way around. You see, she had over spread the peanut butter and I guess was going for the "presentation" of her delicacy. Mr. TD and I started laughing hysterically! No really, this was the kind of laugh that liquids would come from your nose, should there be any in your mouth!

Mr. TD graciously took the "sandwich" dipped it in honey mustard and ate it. Still my stomach was turning and we were both still laughing, even as he said "Mmmm."

Then he did the unthinkable. He had her make one for me! He even gave her a large pickle slice just for Mommy. But she left out an "ingredient." You see, she was a little more controlled in her spreading this time and didn't need any clean-up around the edges. She even told Mr. TD that she didn't mess up so she didn't need to do it to mine!

So, I took a bite and the look on my face must have said it all. Mr. TD said, "That's why you don't take a bite, you just eat it whole." All the while continuing to laugh hysterically. I couldn't finish it. Just one bite. I tried her food she prepared and I just couldn't finish it. That's all we ask of her when she's resistant to try something new, so that is all I did. Mr. TD thinks I cheated, but no, I just used my brain to come up with a way that I didn't have to eat it. (Do you think that's where Princess TD gets it, from me?)

Needless to say, we will not be serving peanut butter and pickle sandwiches here in this house again, at least not on purpose.

Later this afternoon, we had Food Network on in the background as we were preparing to get our Christmas decorations out. They began talking about sandwiches around the country, and believe it or not, there is a restaurant somewhere in the United States, that actually serves a peanut butter and pickle sandwich! I wish I knew where it was so that I could be sure NOT to stop there when I was hungry!

We really had a good laugh today! Sometimes that's what you need!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it surprise you that I know the answer to your question? Peanut Butter & Co., they are in New York and do have a menu. Here is a sample!!!



Cookie Dough Surprise
peanut butter on one side and velvety vanilla cream cheese on the other, stuffed with chocolate chips. it really does taste like cookie dough

Peanut Butter Blt we use toasted bread and fresh cut bacon to give this sandwich great flavor and texture

Pb&J Club double your pleasure and enjoy two layers of peanut butter and two layers of jelly between three slices of toasted bread


Pregnant Lady peanut butter & pickles, you bet! a strange sounding but great-tasting combination. better watch out though - this sandwich has been known to induce labor

Bagel Nosh a toasted bagel and sides of smooth or crunchy peanut butter, jam and vanilla cream cheese for you to schmear

Jerry Seinfeld's Comedy Special our most famous customer shared his favorite peanut butter sandwich in the foreword he wrote for the peanut butter & co. cookbook, and here it is for you to try - a sliced, toasted bagel topped with peanut butter, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon. yum

Ants On A Log memories of kindergarten will come flooding back as you munch on freshly cut celery sticks, stuffed with smooth or crunchy peanut butter and topped with raisins

Anyway, I have no idea if they are still open but I remember them being featured in a magazine. I can not remember if they are in a small store selling sandwiches on the side or just a small cafe.

Thanks for the funny story! I needed it!

Mrs TD said...

No, it wouldn't surprise me...your family is very in tune to all things culinary.

I do have to say that a peanut butter and bacon sandwich was one of my favoite meals when I was pregnant!

I don't think there's much of a chance of me stopping by that place, I do not forsee me heading to New York anytime soon.

Unknown said...

That is so funny. It definitely sounds like a pregnancy meal. AND very Vegan! I could definitely indulge!