Monday, January 5, 2009

New Plan for a New Year

Note: I am posting this since several of my real life friends either ask me what I do, or find humor in the crazy things I have to come up with to train my children.

It really isn't a secret that we have some problems with Princess TD and taming her independence and strong will. I have been brainstorming to try to figure out how to encourage cooperation without completely demolishing the good things about being independent. I have been tossing around the idea of a type of reward system. This isn't your "typical" reward system. I really had to think outside the box on this one, because she does!

Here's my plan:

I have little fish cut-outs that I found at the local teacher supply. I have written on the back, "Caught Ya!" and a point value. These are intended to be saved to be redeemed for a reward. It is our intention to give them to her when she does something that demonstrates kindness to others (mainly family members), patience, respect of others and their property, or just does something extra helpful. They will always be given randomly and at our discretion, i.e., not every time she goes an hour without torturing her brother. (OK, it's really not THAT bad...)

The rewards were harder. I have talked to other parents and they use eating out, a book, a small toy, etc for rewards. My dilemma comes in here. Princess TD adores those kind of things, but they hold no power for her. She would rather maintain her stance, whatever that may be, than to give in for a meal out or a toy. So our rewards are more tailored for her, extra reading time, a game night on the night of her choice, computer time, staying up late, etc. Each reward has it's own point value and all require some "saving" before they can be redeemed.

There is one catch for her though, she can have points taken away. She will lose points when she intentionally hurts her brother, or is disrespectful to others and their property (mainly picking flowers from our neighbors flower beds but there are a couple of others).

I am hopeful that this system will work. Our sticker charts have worked well in the past, but stickers have somewhat lost their charm with her (unless she's playing with them). I am also hopeful that this will plant the seeds of budgeting, saving and delayed gratification. It is way early for that, but hopefully it will make more sense when we do get to that point. I can hope right?

No comments: