Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Do I Miss Working?

I get this question quite frequently, especially when new acquantances find out that I was an engineer before having children.

This question came to my mind again this morning when I changed the calendar to July and the realization hit me that today was my last day of work five years ago. It's been five years since I have worked as an engineer! The years are flying by faster than I would like them to pass.

Do I miss working?

Yes, some days I miss the interactions, mainly the mental ones, solving design problems and optimizing heat exchangers.

and,

No, most days I am thrilled that I get to watch my children grow, develop and learn. There is nothing sweeter than seeing the light bulb come on when they figure something out! I am looking forward to seeing that light bulb again as we begin school in the next few weeks.

So, it's been five years since I have been an engineer and I wouldn't trade a moment of being with my children for the opportunity to design one more heat exchanger!


Oh, and just so I don't get all of you other SAHMs all in an uproar, I have been working raising my children and keeping our home, but I haven't been working as an engineer. :)

3 comments:

JSue said...

I can't wait to call myself a SAHM! We're gonna have so much fun teaching the kiddos. 10 more days and I'll be right there with you not missing the "9 to 5" - wish it really was those hours. Soon you'll have me to add to your mental distraction from the conversations in the "toy box" YAY!!

Anonymous said...

Man, I am so glad you talked about this today! My friend was asking me the same question. Yeah, sometimes I do miss the mental challenges that come with work. Oh wait, my mental challenges were other people's kids. So, actually I am still doing my work...ha ha! No really, I miss sometimes being the one to reach that particular child and knowing without a shadow of a doubt I had an impact on a little one's life. However, I would not TRADE one day of being with my son so I could work. I waited sooooo long and he is sooooo worth it.

BUT, I do understand those who do work a couple days a week. My bf does that and has a great support system. She is actually a better mom because of it.

I hope I am making sense...it has been a long week!!! I guess all I am saying is this MOM business is work and it is sooo worth it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have wondered about that too, whether you miss the "adult" world. I'm so glad that you are happy in this current role. I admire and hold you in great esteem as I know that the decision to leave a career that you love and go to one that is so radically different is not entered into lightly.
I am SO VERY PROUD of both of you, TD & Mrs. TD.....